Friday, September 01, 2006

Levee over the Trinity River



This photo was taken while driving Westbound from downtown on I-30 (toward Fort Worth). I took this snap without looking - just held up the camera and pushed the button while keeping my eyes on the road and the wacky traffic. Downtown is to the right, and to the left is Oak Cliff/West Dallas.

The bridge you see out in the levee is the Continental Avenue bridge, which will be replaced in the next few years by an extraordinarily expensive suspension bridge by boutique bridge designer Calatrava. I actually think the old bridge is lovely, and that it's a shame to replace a perfectly serviceable bridge, particularly on a thoroughfare that doesn't see a tremendous amount of traffic, anyway. This is stirring up a wee bit of controversy and polarizing Dallas voters, actually.

The Trinity River is a muddy and not-very-pretty waterway that travels through Fort Worth (although it's LOVELY over there, for some reason). When we get an extraordinary amount of rain, this levee area can tend to flood, and I've seen the water almost reach the top of the earthen dam on either side of the river. THAT is something to see.

2 Comments:

Blogger FHB said...

Seen it flooding myself. Very interesting. I've actually swum and waded in the Trinity near the Hulen street bridge in Ft. Worth. Many, many years ago. No cancer yet.

3:26 PM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

fathairybastard - yeah, it is an interesting sight. Well, like I said - the Trinity doesn't look so dirty or scrubby over in Fort Worth, so I don't blame you there.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links