Monday, November 27, 2006

Giraffes Gone Wild!


This is a giraffe at I-35 and Marsalis near the Dallas Zoo. This is a huge statue in bronze and I'm not sure if this story is true, but I'll tell it as though it's gospel:

Around the time this statue was being executed, a gigantic statue of Sam Houston was being erected on the east side of I-45 just north of Houston. Once I was driving to Houston in the black of night and came upon that illuminated giant statue of a man mid-stride and 'bout dropped my transmission - scared the CRAP out of me!

Anyway, Texans being a somewhat competitive lot, someone up in Dallas was peeved that Sam Houston was going to trump our giraffe in the stakes for the tallest figural statue in Texas, so they added a rod of additional bronze on the top of the tongue to eke out more precious inches. Isn't that lame??? I think so. Even so, it's still a neat statue, and kids love it.

I snapped the photo on Thanksgiving day while driving south on 35 and not aiming. Loved how it turned out - I didn't expect to even get the giraffe in the frame.

3 Comments:

Blogger FHB said...

Always nice to pass by that thing on the way up or down, but I think the Ft. Worth Zoo is better.

1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, the big scary Sam statue scared the pee outta me too, but it was around 1997, I think its been there awhile. I wonder if it was planned to look like that at night.

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job on the photo! I have tried to take that drive by shot a million times and never get anything but my passenger seat.

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links