Thursday, October 05, 2006

El Ranchito Restaurant - Muy delicioso!


THIS is the place I go when I'm hankering for Mole Chicken but don't have the time or energy to make it myself. Mole Chicken is superb, by the way. Mole sauce (pronounced mo LAY) is powdered roasted chili peppers, cocoa powder and oil - golly - is it ever rich. They bring about 5 paper napkins with this dish, because if you eat it right, you WILL get a greasy mess all over your hands, and it's so worth it.

This structure was built in about the 1940s, and I believe it was the steak house where Myron's family used to come to dine in the 1950s, Red Bryant's or somesuch. I'm sure Myron will fill us in as he was a child in Oak Cliff all those years ago. It features wonderful woodwork and higgledy-piggledy brick, and I just love the whole building. Actually, minus all the pinatas, I'd love a house made exactly like this place. Charming!

2 more photos here to come

4 Comments:

Blogger Just Another Old Geezer said...

It may be my CRS kickin' in but I don't think Red Bryant's was on a corner. I seem to remember a driveway on the right side of the building that led past several pits (it was a barbecue place) right behind the building. And the enterance was on that side. And they had great little lemon tarts.

8:46 AM  
Blogger Just Another Old Geezer said...

I posted a request for Red Bryant's location on the Dallas Historical Society Message Board this morning for Red Bryant's location in the 40's. This was posted in response:

Myron,
Red Bryan's used to be on W. Jefferson across from the big Sears & Roebuck store. I don't know what year it was established, but I can remember going there with my family in the late 1940's.

In one of the rooms there was a huge photographic mural of a young boy and girl, dressed in western wear, both(?) riding pinto ponies.

That was Sonny Bryan and his sister.Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse was opened in the early '60s on Inwood just N. of Harry Hines. Sonny died about 10-12 years ago but his original Smokehouse (and the numerous franchises)still flourishes.

Best BBQ in Texas!
Bill

Is the location of El Ranchito?

10:27 AM  
Blogger Just Another Old Geezer said...

Another post on the Dallas Historical Society BBS:

"Yes, indeed, Myron, ol' Red Bryan's Smokehouse is still in Oak Cliff, on Jefferson---that is, the building is still there, and it is indeed now El Ranchito as a pic someone sent you indicates...it's a fairly nice and authentic Mexican restaurant, authentic atmosphere, and good food, and is quite popular...and the old Sears that used to be across Jefferson from it is now a very large parking lot and the Fiesta foodstore [largely Mexican, doncha know]...but nothing will ever replace Red's smokehouse there, which I knew from age 10 or 11....in 1940-41."

Dang, he's older than me and still having a good time on the intertubes.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Dave MacIntyre said...

Mmmmm!!!! It sounds great! Something to add to my "to eat" list! ;o)

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links