Thursday, August 10, 2006



Here's the Mobil Pegasus on the Magnolia Building in Downtown Dallas.

The photo at left was taken at Field and Commerce streets, looking up the eastbound one-way Commerce which is pretty much the southern boundary of skyscrapers in downtown proper. The red brick building is the Magnolia Oil building.

Magnolia Oil was headquartered in Dallas until they merged with Vacuum and Socony Oil Companies and became Mobil Oil. Thus, this impressive all-original 1920s structure is in effect the corporate beginnings of Mobil Oil. Atop the roof you can just make out the red Pegasus which is the symbol of Mobil and became by extension a symbol of Dallas. This sign is extraordinary, and I think it's about 40 feet tall, and can be seen for miles at night, as it is illuminated with red neon. Over on Fatale Abstraction I've gotten lots of comments from people who always were excited to see the flying horse as children.

Works for me. I still think it's a thrilling sight.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kim Carney said...

it all makes me homesick. Do you know that when I was 3 or so, mom and I lived in Oak cliff and we could see the horse from our bed. I fell asleep everynight with him as my nightlight. ;)

12:00 PM  
Blogger starbender said...

Oh, I luv that sign also! Every time I see one, I just want 2 steal it and take it home with me!

:)

1:25 PM  
Blogger Pat & Reg said...

Your pictures are awesome! Are you a professional photographer? Your sense of framing is really good.

11:34 AM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

nongirlfriend - I love the pegasus, too.

kim carney - wow - what a great nightlight! I loved seeing the Pegasus from the door of my last loft. Loved the whole downtown thing.

starbender - I'd love a vintage mobil sign. Maybe I'll have one someday

reg - what a compliment, and thanks for your kindness. No, not a trained photog at all, just wanted to share what I find fascinating about Dallas. I DO have a superb camera, which is my Canon Rebel XT, which I've had less than 2 months, and I'm sorta taking baby steps in learning to use it. Thanks for taking time to comment.

4:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The original Pegasus was mfg. at the Claude Neon Federal Sign company. It is on display at Farmers Market in Dallas. My grandfather, Olie Richard Rains was the glass blower who made the sign. The Pegasus that now flies is a remake that was done when the Magnoila Bldg was converted to a Hotel.
ec

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links