Monday, July 02, 2007

Agave Americana


These are Agave Americana, which I've heard referred to as "century plants." After decades of growth, they put up a flowering stalk only once, after which the original plant dies. However, suckers (off-shooting plantlings) may have developed radiating out from the original plant.

I think they are marvelous. So much texture. The flowering stalk gets to be about 15-20 feet high.

Tequila is made from the blue variety of this plant, which is in the lily and amaryllis family.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a nice plant. The cut leaf has some medical assets and was used by Native Americans for centuries. I think. At my age I sometimes get my mind lost.

Abraham Lincoln
American Gold Finch—

4:47 AM  
Blogger phlegmfatale said...

abraham lincoln - Well, people the world over still use a product of the agave for its medicinal purposes - Tequila!

I just added that to the text of the post, too. It seemed too important a fact to gloss over!

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Links